HomeNewsHuman InterestAuto Crash: Possibility of rescuing two passengers who fell into Lagoon is...

Auto Crash: Possibility of rescuing two passengers who fell into Lagoon is slim — NEMA Boss

Author

Date

Category

POST VIEWS

The Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, has said the hope of rescuing the two passengers who fell off a bus into the Lagos lagoon following an accident on Wednesday has become dim.

Speaking with newsmen at the scene of the accident in Lagos, Farinloye said the impact of an accident had left two adults thrown off an 18-seater bus into the Lagos lagoon.

Farinloye had said this in a statement, adding that personnel of the Marine Police were in search of the two adults, a male and female, who fell off the LT 18-seater bus.

He said that the crash occurred by Adeniyi Adele axis inward Lagos Island, on the Third Mainland Bridge.

- Advertisement -

He said that the driver of the vehicle, who was on speed, swerved off the road and hit the bridge railings, with the impact pushing the two passengers off the bus into the Lagos lagoon.

Farinloye said that personnel dispatched from the Agency, joined by two teams from the Nigerian Police Marine Corps had been assisting in the rescue operations.

“However, by now, we are not looking at the search and rescue again, but recovery.

- Advertisement -

“This is because the male passenger was said to have floated about three times before he was finally drowned, while the woman did not even surface at all.

“Therefore, the possibility of anyone of them surviving is slim, ” he said.

According to him, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) had, however, mobilised more local divers to join the team for the recovery operations.

- Advertisement -

Mr Jonathan Owoade, Zonal Coordinator, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), also corroborated the explanation by the NEMA official.

Owoade said that other victims in the bus had been rescued to a nearby general hospital for treatment.

“We are on our way to the hospital to see their state of being and also commiserate with them,” he said.

According to him, the accident seemed to have occurred as a result of speeding by the driver, given the impact.

Meanwhile, LASTMA, in a statement by the Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department, Mr Adebayo Taofiq, said the 18 other passengers rescued in the bus accident and taken to hospital were seriously injured.

He said that LASTMA officer Olamide Ojo-Oniyun (One Alpha, Zone 1 Lagos Island) who led the recovery operations confirmed that his team had evacuated the LT Commercial bus off the road, for unhindered vehicular movement inward Adeniji Adele area of Lagos Island.

The General Manager of LASTMA Mr. Olalekan Bakare-Oki, also cautioned motorists to obey speed limits and ensure their vehicles are properly checked before embarking on any journey within or outside the State.

Recall that the Federal Government reopened the third mainland bridge on April 4, setting the speed limit at 80 km per hour, following extensive repairs over a period of five months.

Wednesday’s accident occurred on a day Muslims were celebrating the Eid-el-Fitr.

It came days after the Lagos Sector of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) reiterated the call for safe driving on the newly reopened Third Mainland Bridge, after an accident occurred on it on Thursday.

A collision involving three vehicles had occurred on the bridge on Thursday, the day it was fully reopened to traffic after months of partial closure.

The FRSC described the Thursday incident, which involved three vehicles inward Iyana Oworo axis of the bridge, as an avoidable crash, and blamed it on negligence.

- Advertisement -

We Want Your Kind Support

Reporting the cradle of Islam requires a lot of money. We will not be deterred in our task by bringing to you instant happenings around the world, particularly as it concerns Islam. Keeping all our readers informed and educated is our goal.

Click Here to Join Our WhatsApp Group

For continued free access to in-depth news and detailed information, kindly consider making a modest donation to this noble cause.
Help to sustain reportage of Islam all around the globe and ensure everyone gets free access to it at all times.

DONATE NOW       

spot_img

Kaaba News E-Magazine

spot_img

RECENT POST

Remains of hundreds of 7,000-year-old ‘standing stone circles’ discovered in Saudi...

0
By Owen JarusArchaeologists in Saudi Arabia have excavated eight ancient "standing stone circles" that they say were used as homes.About 345 of these structures...

POPULAR POST